My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

African Cardinal supports condom use for married

Cardinal Tumi has voiced support for married couples to use condoms as a means of protection against HIV/AIDS.

I can remember discussing this issue in my moral theology classes - that is, is it morally permissible to use condoms if the intention was not to prevent procreation, but instead to prevent the transmission of the AIDS virus. This issue was of particular importance in Africa.

On the one hand, I can understand the importance of including intent in any determination of moral culpability which would seem to justify the use of condoms if, again, the purpose was not in violation of Humani Generis. On the other hand, if someone is infected with a life threatening illness is it wise to engage in an act which might transfer that illness to one's spouse?

1 Comments:

Blogger ndlightningbug said...

I can only hope that this advocacy for the prevention of HIV continues. It is such a sad state of affairs in so many African countries.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home