My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Mid Week Reflection

Wednesday Mornings are spent in small group reflection over the upcoming Sunday's scripture passages. So I spent an hour with Brs. Timothy, Sean and Father Nicholas talking about Jesus' parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man [Lk 16:19-31] . Quite a bit of the discussion focussed on the changing of attitudes - particularly towards the poor. For me, it is a question both of encouraging those who are wealthy to engage with those who are not as will off, it is also a question of showing that this encounter is one of equals - that both rich and poor bring something to a common table.

The rest of the day was spent doing various homework assignments. I am in the initial stages of a paper for a class entitled the "Integration Seminar" which is supposed to help us integrate what we have learned the past years of seminary, focussing on a real situation which took place during my apostolic year in Steubenville last year. I am not really looking forward to this class as I already reflected on this situation last year when it took place and because the other people in my group don't really know much about the Steubenville environment nor my role as a college teacher. Oh well, I guess it's just another hoop to go through.

For those who are curious as to what I am reading right now, it is a book by the Church Historian Fr. John Meyendorff called "A Study of Gregory Palamas". St. Gregory Palamas was an Orthodox theologian of the 14th century who can be considered on the par with Thomas Aquinas. St. Gregory is most known for his theology of God and that the goal of the Christian was the glorification of all that makes us truly human, body and soul. He also believed that the same light that the apostles saw at the Transfiguration is possible for us to see today through grace and prayer.

That's about it for today...
Peace and Good


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home