My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

DePaul University where Academic Freedom only goes so far

Recently, there has been some controversy over the establishment of a Queer Studies on the grounds that, being a university, there should be academic freedom. As the Director of the new program states,

"Institutions of higher learning, even if they are Catholic, aren't spokespeople for the Vatican," he says. "Like any university, there should be room for free inquiry."

On the other hand, a conservative group at DePaul was not permitted such freedom when it chose to host an "Affirmative Action Bakesale" to question Affirmative Action.

My question is why allow one and not the other, if your goal is the promotion of "free inquiry". On the otherhand, if your goal is something different - at least be open about what it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I regularly (though lurkingly) read your blog. It provides one of the most interesting and cogent commentaries on pertinent news items. I love it! Thanks!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like any university, there should be room for free inquiry."

I really should get more sleep. When I read this line, my eyes didn't see 'inquiry' but 'iniquity'. I had to stop and read it again!

Maybe I did get it right after all?

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home