My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Viva la Revolution!

CAN - Churches Advertising Network has begun a new advertising campaign in Britain with a poster in which an image of the Communist Che Guevara has been replaced with the infant Christ. They chose to model the poster on the depiction of Che in order to show Jesus as the "real revolutionary."

The goal of this campaign is to proclaim that Jesus was not a "wimp in a white nighty" and the posters are free to any local church.

They face on the poster is intended to present an older child and show someone "wise beyond their years."

I'm not sure that I agree with using Communist imagery to promote Christ, the Church has had enough problems with the misguided view that Jesus was "a revolutionary" in the sense of promoting merely political change. I'm also wonder how many people know who Che Guevara was, much less what he looked like as a baby. Plus, the poster makes Jesus pretty scary looking, kind of like Dr. Evil's "Mini-Me"

It's also somewhat ironic. The Communist Party of Russia began distributing images of Lenin as an infant in order to counteract the Orthodox devotion to the child Jesus. Now the Christians are trying to use Jesus to counteract attraction to a Communist leader.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I like it!

7:12 PM  
Blogger John said...

The poster makes Baby Jesus look like a cast member from from "Village of the Damned". Call an exorcist!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Christina Martin said...

The "wimp in a white nighty" comment reminds me of the Biblical admonition that the wisdom of God is foolishness to men. I like the intent here, but I certainly don't like the idea of changing Jesus to make Him more appealing to the "wisdom of men."

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Christina. Jesus *can* be "cuddly", but he can also be pretty, um, amazing, awesome, frightening, inspiring, etc. I think there are better ways to present Christ's "revolutionary" person and nature than to link him to a Communist thug and murderer.

Check out the name the composite was given, though (from the address bar if you click on the image): "babycheLarge.jpg". "Babyche". That's nice. I think, at that, I'll keep the "wimp in a white nighty", fellows.

Interesting find, Brother!

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home