My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Monday, November 15, 2004

The importance of memory

Perhaps it this is the result of so much academics, especially right now in my life, but I have been increasingly struck by the importance of memory in the Christian life. Augustine speaks of memory as a sign of the reality of the Trinity, but I am thinking more basically as to how if God were to forget us, impossible though that is, we would cease to exist and if we forget God, which happens far too often, we cease to truly live. In the Eastern Church, the living always ask God to have "Eternal Memory" of the departed believing that if God remembers someone, he has to treat them with love. I'm not sure that this makes sense, as I said I am still thinking about this, but maybe I can issue this request to myself and to others that they try to remember God today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home