My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election Comments

Well, now that Kerry has conceded I guess I can congratulate George Bush. It seems to me that there are several winners in this particularly late night comedians and editorial cartoonists who have been given another four years of material. Seriously, I view this with very mixed feelings on the one hand I am hopeful for greater protection for the unborn on the other hand I am worried about Bush's lack of concern for the poor and for the environment. I'm not sure if it will ever be possible to have a candidate who exemplifies what I would really like - though I have found that it is possible to exemplify the opposite - see Arnold the Governator. There is a group called Democrats for Life at democratsforlife.org I can only pray that they might grow and gain influence in that party. As for the Republicans, I can only pray that they might grow to care more for the urban poor and minorities and less for CEOs and Tax Breaks.

So, I don't know whether to look at the next four years with hope or trepidation. Bush certainly has a larger portion of the popular vote than he did in 2000 but the country appears to be very divided as to the direction we should take. The voices of rational discourse seem to have been replaced by "shouting heads". Yet, it is into a world such as this that Christ has been born.

P.S. Did anyone else see the photo of George Bush and family on election night sitting together awaiting election returns? In the room is an icon of the Virgin and Child. Very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home