My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Asking why

Science News Article | Reuters.com

In all times of suffering, but especially after such disasters as have happened in Southeast Asia it is natural for all people seek understanding and meaning. Not that ascribing meaning would really end the suffering but that it somehow seems more palatable than senseless suffering. I don't know if Mary knew the meaning behind her son's crucifixion when it took place, but somehow I don't think such knowledge would have made her weep any less.

Still, taking refuge in the "mystery of suffering" doesn't really help to provide comfort either. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know why the tsunami took place beyond the scientific reasons. I do, however, have opinions on what should be done in response to the disaster - that is the question of "In response to this occasion of suffering, what should be done?" I pray that as we answer this question, we may also get some answers to the question of why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home