My Photo
Name:

I am a Third Order Franciscan of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Friday, February 18, 2005

Learning to discern

Thursdays are Sexual and Medical Bioethics class which fortunately isn't too bad since it is a three hour night class. This evening's class dealt with the foundations of Catholic ethics with particular examples relating both to current issues involving Terri Schiavo and the suggestion that people suffering from AIDS be allowed to use condoms so as to protect their spouses from being infected. One key understanding about Catholic Moral Teaching is that while one can put forward an ideal, that ideal must often be adjusted when it encounters the experiences of men and women in the world. It can get awfully messy. As I told my teacher, I'm glad to be a historian as everyone I have to deal with is dead and so won't complain to much about how I treat them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home